Hello there, and how are you?
I know we are in strange times, and writing about fashion and style might seem a little bit offbeat, but I want to keep things normal here on boyemeh.com. With everything going on around the world, I’m hoping that you use this space as a form of escape and enjoy the content I have for you.
In an age of influencers, where every other girl is advising you to buy the next big thing in fashion, it’s so easy to get carried away with the trends of the moment; buying into the next fad and believing this is what makes you fashionable. Eventually, you end up with a wardrobe full of clothes you never wear. That’s why it’s so important to know what your personal style is when it comes to fashion.
I’m at the point in my life where I’m turning my back on my usual norms, taking control of my spending habits and being responsible when it comes to fashion.
Would you like to join me on this journey?
If that’s a yes I hear, then let’s get right to it.
First things first would be understanding what resonates with you when it comes to style, this is what defining your personal style is all about.
According to the Oxford dictionary, style is a particular procedure by which something is done; a manner or way, and if we were to interpret this in terms of personal style, we would say the manner or way a person is dressed that is unique to them.
Here are a few things I have found out about personal style
- Know your body shape and what suits it. Buying clothes which enhance my stunners and mask my flaws at the same time, keeps me wearing these clothes day in and day out. Why? because I feel and look like a million bucks every time I put them on
- Take note of the type of fashion that resonates with you. I have read somewhere that there are fashion personality types:
- Chic fashion which is usually monochromatic looks, clean-cut lines and bold statement accessories.
- Classic fashion which endears towards more traditional and timeless pieces. They are usually very tailored and simple.
- Avant-garde fashion is usually statement outfits and out of the world pieces, very bold and forward-thinking.
- Whimsical Fashion entails prints, bows, ruffles, flowing dresses
- Know your colours Boo, I can’t tell you how many times I have gone shopping, picked a top or a dress in yellow, telling myself I would wear it and then end up not doing so. My advice, pick colours you know you would wear. Also, bear in mind that colours which look amazing on others may not be the same as you. Know which colours suit your skin tone and dazzle as you go.
- Steal from your favourite style icon, sometimes knowing where to start in terms of style may seem overwhelming and daunting but we can steal looks from our favourite style icons. I love Victoria Beckham’s style, it’s very effortless and chic so I pick and incorporate the things I like about her style into my wardrobe.
- Create a Vision Board, we all know that vision boards help visualise your business, personal and spiritual goals, but do you know that you can create a vision board for your style and wardrobe? It’s so easy to do and not expensive at all.
- Always dazzle with accessories, accessories help to take your outfits to another level.
- Make a tailor your best friend, the benefits of having a tailor are endless. For a tuck here and a snip there, you get the best from fitting outfits ever, now I must warn you, tailors will test your patience but if the both of you agree to disagree it would be a wonderful relationship.
There you have it, all the tips I have learnt about personal style, I hope they help. I’m on my way to a healthier wardrobe.
See you soon xxx.